City of Devils Lake - Devils Lake North Dakota
Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by

Miscellaneous Garbage Items

How To Dispose/Recycle Miscellaneous Garbage Items

  • Large Clean Up/Construction/Demotion Projects:
    The City has available for rent roll-off units. These units are available in 21, 30, 40, and 55 yard capacity. Call the Sanitation Department at (701) 662-7624 or City Office at (701) 662-7600, ext. 1 for details on availability and cost. You can also view the rates under Fees and Rates, Construction Roll-Off Rates.

  • Cell Phones:
    Can be recycled by dropping them off at the National Guard Recruiting Center on College Drive (inside Holiday Mall). They recycle them for use by U.S. troops stationed overseas.

  • Microwaves, Computer Monitors, Laptop Computers, Ipads, Tablets, and Televisions:
    May be disposed of in your regular garbage. If the item does not fit into your garbage can, you may dispose of it by putting the item in a special City bag and placing it next to your garbage can for collection. If the item you want to dispose of is too large to fit into the bag, tape the bag to the item and it will be picked up. These items are NOT acceptable during the City's special pickup or at the inert landfill. You can purchase special City bags at City Office (15 gallon only), 30 gallon bags can be purchased at Walmart and Leevers County Market.
  • Household Appliances:
    May be disposed of at the inert landfill for $5.00 each or at the recycling center for $7.50, or free of charge at your home during special pickup months. There is an extra charge of $5.00 if the appliance contains freon. All doors from refrigerators or freezers need to be removed to prevent accidental suffocation.
  • Fish Remains:
    Any City resident who has a garbage account may put fish remains in a special City bag and dispose of it at the Recycling Center located at 205 2nd Street NE (take the frontage road next to Lakeridge Health Center) at no additional cost between the hours of 6:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.

  • Used Motor Oil:
    Used motor oil may be taken to the recycling center and disposed of in the specially marked tank inside the fence during regular working hours, Monday thru Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Do not leave containers or filters.

  • Auto Batteries:
    Are not acceptable at the inert landfill or in your household garbage. Used auto batteries can be taken to H.E. Everson at 211 College Drive S or take them to the store where you buy your new battery.

  • Hypodermic Needles:
    Need to be disposed of properly to prevent injury to your family or those who pick up your garbage.  Place needles or other sharp items in a covered pop bottle or a coffee can and put in your regular garbage.

  • Used Cooking Grease:
    Pour used cooking grease into an empty coffee can and place in the refrigerator to solidify and then dispose of in your trash. Pouring grease in your sink or toilet will cause build up over time and will clog your drain.

  • Outdated or Unused Vitamins or Medications:
    Cannot be recycled.  To dispose of medications in solid form, place in regular garbage; medication in liquid form may be flushed down the toilet or dried out and placed in your regular garbage. Be sure that medications placed in the garbage are not accessible to children. You can now dispose of them safely by depositing them in the specially marked box located inside the entrance to the Law Enforcement Center located at 222 West Walnut Street. The drop off site is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Also check with your local pharmacy for a drop off site.

  • Household Batteries:
    Only small amounts of household batteries are permissible in your regular garbage.  To keep even this small amount of batteries out of our landfill, consider purchasing rechargeable batteries for flashlights, toys, cameras, cassette players, and other household uses.
  • Bird and Deer Carcasses:
    After you've bagged those birds or processed your deer, any City resident may put game carcasses in the specially marked dumpster at the Recycling Center located at 205 2nd St NE. Please put remains in garbage bags.

  • Used Clothing and Other Household Items:
    Can be recycled by donating them to the Dakota Boys & Girls Ranch at 408 Highway 2 W or Joseph's Closet at 501 4th St NE. You may also donate furniture, household goods, books, shoes, and other miscellaneous items.

  • Household Cleaners:
    Excess or outdated household cleaners and chemicals need to be disposed of properly. Read label directions carefully for correct disposal method.

  • Household Light Bulbs:
    Household quantities of light bulbs may be put in with your regular garbage. For protection from broken glass, put fluorescent bulbs in the package they came in; put regular bulbs in a coffee can or similar container; and wrap the new compact fluorescent bulbs in plastic and then place in a container. Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) and other fluorescent light bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, about 1/100th of the amount of mercury found in a mercury fever thermometer. Exposure is possible only when a bulb has been broken.

  • Empty Paint Cans or Aerosol Cans:
    Must be disposed of in your regular garbage. Make sure spray cans are empty by spraying contents into a cardboard box until gone. Paint cans may have a thin skin of dried paint left in the can.  Paint cans are no longer acceptable in your recycling bin.  Left over paint can be poured into a plastic lined box and mixed with cat litter, sawdust or sand, left to dry, then placed in regular garbage.

  • Christmas Trees:
    Will be picked up the 2nd week of January starting on Monday until all are picked up. Trees will be picked up separately from your regular garbage and must be placed out by 7:00 a.m., regardless of what day your regular garbage is picked up. Place trees in the same place as your garbage is picked up and have trees free of bags, stands, or decorations.
  • Aluminum Cans:
    May be recycled with our curbside recycling service or by dropping them off at the Recycling Center located at 205 2nd Street NE (take the frontage road next to Lakeridge Health Center).

  • Unusable Pesticides, Herbicides, Insecticides, Rodenticides, and Fungicides:
    Project Safe Send was started in 1992 to help farmers safely and legally get rid of unusable pesticides. The program accepts old, unusable or banned pesticides, including herbicides, insecticides, rodenticides and fungicides. The collected pesticides are shipped out of state for incineration. Project Safe Send is funded through product registration fees paid by pesticide manufacturers. If the containers are deteriorating or leaking, pack them in larger containers with absorbent materials. Free heavy-duty plastic bags are available from the North Dakota Department of Agriculture. To pre-register call 701-425-3016. A maximum of 20,000 pounds of pesticides per participant will be accepted. To obtain plastic bags, to find out the dates of collection, or for more information contact the ND Department of Agriculture at 1-800-242-7535. A collection site is set up each summer from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the ND Department of Transportation in Devils Lake located at 1905 Schwan Ave NW.


Green Line

Green Line
Email Login
© 2001 - 2017 City of Devils Lake, all rights reserved
Site designed and maintained by NDTC